Thursday, July 18, 2013

Old fashioned thoughts.

Its been a while sense I posted to this but I wanted to start again. Maybe have a place to vent some thoughts. For those of you who are reading this and do not know me. This blog is about my wife and I akd our two small children with autism. And its important that it is stated as two children "with " autism and not autistic children. The first thing you will notice about my babies is their autism does not define them.

Today I saw my grandfathers domino set on the shelf. He passed away about 10 years ago. He never had the chance to see either of his great grand babies. I know he would have loved them if he could have. Unfortunatly he passed early due to health problems. 

But back to my point. The domino set pictured here might look old. It is. It was made in the early 80s maybe late 70s. Its a cheap set and has little financial value. But its not the dominos that matter. Its the memories attached to them.

I remember as a child we all spent alot of time together as an extended family. My parents my brother and I. My aunts and uncles and their kids. And my grandparents. 

We would get together to spend time relaxing and just being a family. But thw times I remember most are the game nights. We would always play one of two games. Progressive rummy. "Which is an insane card game that can last for hours". Or dominos. Old fashioned slap the table dominos.

I remember this the most because of the smiles and laughter. When grandmaw armstrong player " my great grandmother" she would always cheat. But at her age who is to argue. Back to the point. We would have long nights of fun and family time playing games and even if you had some fights that day no one cared. It was as it never happened. The family always forgave.

I still remember the first time my grand father invited me over to the adult table to play games with them. Instead of go fish with my brother and cousins.   But I felt like king of the world. I wad a big boy now. And grandpaw actually let me touch his dominos.

It was family. It was memories. And while there were good and bad times. You were never alone. We were always a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment